News

Actions

Heroin overdose signs offer sobering reminder in Queen Anne's County

Posted at 6:56 PM, Jun 28, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-28 19:42:32-04

They've been in Harford County for years, now Queen Anne's County will post overdose signs. The signs are a sobering reminder of how many county residents have lost their battle with addiction. 

It's not a pleasant sight, but it's a reminder that the problem isn't limited to the big city. 

"It happens anywhere and everywhere. No one is immune to the opioid and heroin epidemic," said Kathy Wright, who's been involved in drug and alcohol abuse counseling for more than three decades. 

She says a larger percent of people have been affected by abuse problems.

"I would say at least 90 percent and the other 10 percent don't know it or don't want to admit it," she said. 

Wright hopes the signs will shine a light on a problem that has infected the county. 

"To raise awareness and get people talking," she said. "It can happen to any of our kids."

In addition to awareness, local law enforcement agencies may be having an impact. More than 30 people are facing drug charges handed out in recent weeks in Queen Anne's County. The State's Attorney Lance Richardson says heroin overdoses have slowed down after the arrests, but says the decline may not be permanent. 

"There is someone ready to step up when people are removed, but we're going to stay on top of it," he said. "We're going to continue to gather intelligence and seek out those who are going to try and replace the dealers."