BALTIMORE — Baltimore Police have said all of the 115 patrol cars that had been removed from service following allegations that a woman was sexually assaulted by an officer have been returned to the street, Detective Niki Fennoy, a department spokes person, confirmed in a statement.
The cars were removed from service Monday following a woman contacting the department Sunday to say she was the victim of a sexual assault that may have been perpetrated by an unnamed member of the police department. The woman said she had been raped, and her allegations prompted an immediate investigation by the department, police said.
Though the alleged rape is not believed to have occurred in a patrol car, police said they were searching the vehicles to collect potential evidence in the case for if or when a suspect was identified.
By Wednesday, the department said that all but a dozen cars had been returned to service, and they expected those remaining 12 cars to be ready to return to the streets by the end of the week.
So far police have provided no further information about the investigation or if a suspect or person of interest has been identified.