NewsCrime CheckerBaltimore City Crime


2-month-old dies from blunt force trauma, mother arrested

Posted at 9:23 AM, May 14, 2018
and last updated 2018-05-14 17:27:17-04

She lost her baby boy when he died on Friday, and by Saturday morning, 35-year old Tiffany Nutter had lost her freedom as well.
Baltimore City Police Detective Jeremy Silbert says a last-ditch effort to save Jawuan Pinkeny came too late. 

"The victim in this case was a two-month-old baby who showed up at the hospital.  A family member brought the baby to the hospital.  Unfortunately, the hospital staff it sounds like did everything they could to save the baby's life, but that just wasn't possible at that point," said Silbert.
The nature of the child's injuries immediately raised suspicion that he'd been abused.

"There was some blunt force trauma found on the baby,” added Silbert, “An autopsy will be conducted to determine the actual cause of death."
According to charging documents, a relative told police that Nutter and her son had called for a ride to the hospital from the corner of Mcculloh and Prestman Streets.
Detectives observed a significant amount of trauma to the baby's face and groin area.
Nutter later tried to blame the injuries on a mysterious woman she had once met at a homeless shelter who had agreed to watch Jawuan while she sent to work, and she allegedly told her she had struck his head on a door.
Nutter told detectives she then took him home, opting not to call 911 out of fear she'd get in trouble.
She claims she placed him in a Pack 'n Play and went out for a smoke, washed some dishes and listened to music before discovering him lifeless, cold and not breathing when she later checked on him.

After finding her baby unconscious, the mother still refused to call 911 and had a relative drive them to the hospital some 15 minutes away.

"During the course of the investigation, detectives did charge the child's mother with several counts including child abuse and child neglect," said Silbert.