State Delegate's grandson murdered

Police release surveillance video
Posted at 5:49 PM, Sep 05, 2017
and last updated 2017-09-08 13:44:46-04

Tyrone Ray's life ended near the corner of Belair Road and Nicholas Avenue and less than 24 hours later, balloons, bottles and a handwritten note mark the spot.

“Rest easy Tye,” the note read.

"It's senseless and it hurts, it hurts so bad,” neighbor Peggy Lynch said, “Especially when you came in contact with these young people and they are good people."

More than a couple people shared that sentiment as they added to the memorial to who they say was a respectful young man.

Ray’s grandfather, state lawmaker Talmadge Branch says the bullet that killed his grandson is continuing to rip through his family.

"It hurts so deeply to have a grandson, and then a love them equally and to have him pass and then to watch her mourn and I kind of get it two fold," Branch said.

The delegate says he's been to countless funerals over the years but this is the first time city violence touched his family.

As the majority whip in the Maryland House of Delegates, he says he is in the same mode as the governor to do something this winter to help the crime in Baltimore but that he and this city can't wait that long.

"I want to see every means necessary to get guns off the street. I mean these kids don't know what they are doing with these guns. They don't understand and they don’t have any compassion for the people that have to live through what they have done," Branch said.

Police released surveillance video of the suspect they think killed the delegate’s grandson.

Detectives won't say anything about motive other than to say the Ray was indeed the target.

"Based on what we know right now. Based on some interviews and information we're receiving we are confident that this is a targeted incident and I don't want to go into the speculation because the theories can change."

Baltimore police need your help identifying the suspect in that surveillance video.