Shooter and getaway driver sentenced to a collective 94 years for attempted armed robbery

Shooter and getaway driver sentenced to a collective 94 years for attempted armed robbery
Posted at 7:56 PM, Mar 14, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-14 19:59:50-04

Corey Clark and Marquis Alston have been sentenced to a collective 94 years in prison for attempting to rob two men at gunpoint, which resulted in one of the men being shot in the back of the neck.

Clark was given 74 years in prison and Alston was given to 40 years, with all but 20 years suspended. Clark was convicted of two counts of first degree assault, attempted robbery with a deadly weapon, two counts of conspiracy to commit first degree assault and using a handgun in the commission of a crime of violence. Alston was convicted of two counts of conspiracy to commit first degree assault, two counts of conspiracy to commit robbery with a deadly weapon and conspiracy to commit a crime of violence while using a handgun.

“The violence that plagues this City is unacceptable, and these types of crimes impact the social and economic viability of Baltimore,” said State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby. “Much like our citizens should be able to feel safe in their communities, tourists should be able to visit Baltimore and enjoy everything Baltimore has to offer without fear of violence.

"A little after midnight, on December 5, 2016, two Miami Dolphin fans visiting from Alabama for the Ravens-Dolphins game on December 4, 2016 were returning to their hotel in the unit block of West Fayette Street when they were approached by Clark and an unidentified individual. Both suspects pointed a gun at the men and demanded money.

Clark began to ruffle through one victim’s left pocket. Victim #1 resisted, causing the unidentified suspect to instruct Clark to fire. Victim #2 intervened, attempting to knock the gun from Clark’s hand. At that moment, Clark drew back and fired one shot, which struck Victim #2 in the back of the neck. Victim #1 chased the unidentified man along Fayette Street before he turned left into an alley. The victim abandoned the chase when he noticed a Baltimore Police car just ahead at the Radisson Hotel.

Simultaneously, Clark fled into the driver’s side of a silver Ford van that was approaching from Charles Street. The victims were able to point out the van as it approached the red light at Fayette and Liberty Street. Police officers were able to observe the van and two police vehicles initiated a pursuit.Police attempted to conduct a traffic stop of the van, by utilizing their lights and sirens, but the van refused to stop.

Without losing sight of the van, officers observed Clark jump out of the vehicle at 24th and Barclay Streets, attempting to flee on foot. He was apprehended by one of the pursuing patrol units in a nearby alley. The van stopped in the 2300 block of North Howard Street after an eight minute pursuit and the driver, who was identified as Marquis Alston, was apprehended.

"The success of this case is a testament to the quick, assertive and professional response of the police officers who were present at the hotel," said Assistant State’s Attorney Alex Rothstein. "The most critical elements of this encounter were the response to the victims at the scene, the van pursuit on a rainy night through multiple police districts and the apprehension of Clark in a dark alley by an officer who was momentarily by herself until back up arrived."