Police-involved shooting reported in N. Baltimore

Posted at 10:15 AM, Nov 25, 2016
and last updated 2016-11-28 06:22:35-05

Two Baltimore police officers were involved in a shooting in the 3300 block of Greenmount Avenue Friday morning.

Greenmount Avenue and 33rd Street is a busy intersection in Waverly; on black Friday morning it was even busier than usual.

Lanay was opening up her shop on Greenmount when she heard it.

"Pop, pop, which missed...then you heard pop, pop, pop, pop and he was down on the ground bleeding and I was standing right there and started screaming," the shop worker said.

What Lanay heard matches the amount of evidence markings strewn in the middle of Greenmount Avenue just north of 33rd Street as a bevy of investigators milled about trying to piece together what happened.

RELATED: Officer-involved shooting reported in west Baltimore

Preliminarily, police said the man was armed with two knives, one in each hand, and 911 callers said he was threatening people at the bus stop.

When officers showed up, Commissioner Kevin Davis said the man did not cooperate or respond to orders or a Taser.

"Our on scene presence, our verbal commands, the Taser...none of those efforts worked to disarm this man who was armed with two knives and two of our police officers then discharged their firearms," Davis said.

The officers struck the man several times but police said only after an attempt by the officers to de-escalate the situation.

Of the two officers involved, one was wearing a body worn camera. Davis said he would not hesitate to release the video in the coming days.

"So we are in the process of reviewing that body worn camera right now for that footage and if and when that footage is retrieved and is of value to share with you all and our community, it is certainly our intention to do that."

The man who was shot by police has not been identified and is currently in critical condition at an area hospital.

The officers involved have been identified as Officer Gary Brown, a 16-year veteran of the force, and Officer Supreme Jones, who has been with the department since 2014. 

Friday's shooting is the second police-involved shooting in Baltimore this week. 

Download the ABC2 News app for the iPhone, Kindle and Android