NewsCrime CheckerBaltimore City Crime

Actions

Independent board reviewing Suiter death nears completion

Posted: 4:23 PM, Jul 31, 2018
Updated: 2018-07-31 17:41:38-04

An independent review board tasked with looking into the death of Detective Sean Suiter says it needs more time to complete its report.

For three months the board originally appointed by former Baltimore Police Commissioner Darryl De Sousa has been delving into the detective’s death with an original timeline of July 31st.

Suiter’s death was ruled a homicide back in November but there are still many unanswered questions.

Some questions surround the detective's killing and others around the immediate investigation conducted by the Baltimore Police Department.

The board's findings will not be binding but the question many have is how much of it will be revealing.

Board members have remained tight lipped on what they've found but have conducted many interviews and revisited the site on Bennett Place where Suiter was killed.

Also of interest is the days' long lockdown of the Harlem Park neighborhood while police at the time investigated the killing.

That tactic came up in last week's Consent Decree hearing in front of Judge James Bredar.            

The monitoring team said in court how the stops police made of residents during the aftermath were improper and pointed to a general failure of the department during the expansive crime scene.

Judge Bredar was looking forward to the IRB report saying that Harlem Park should be burned into the memory of all of us.

There are policing lessons to be learned and in a visceral and tragic case like Suiter's death, “That is when the constitution comes to life.”

Harlem Park is part of the IRB's scope along with any new evidence it may have turned up surrounding the death of Sean Suiter.

It is a report nearing its completion and to be made public soon.