NewsCrime CheckerBaltimore City Crime


Woman killed outside Social Services was trying to buy cigarettes

Posted at 5:20 PM, Dec 14, 2018
and last updated 2018-12-17 08:34:50-05

BALTIMORE — Less than 24 hours after a shooting outside a social services office in South Baltimore leaves a 25-year-old woman dead, it still has a chilling effect on others, like Destiney Battle, seeking services there.

“It kind of made me nervous, because she was kind of the same age as me,” said Battle, “You know. A lot of stuff goes through your mind like, 'Oh my gosh. What if it kind of happens to you? What if she was innocent? What if she didn't do anything wrong?'”

And now it appears the victim, Ebony Moore, may have, in fact, been simply at the wrong place at the wrong time.

RELATED: Woman dies after being found shot in government parking lot

Moore had no business at the center, and an Instagram Live video from earlier in the day suggests she was simply riding along as her cousin went there to spend some time with him.

“Which Social Services you going by?” she asks the cousin in the video.

“I'm going to the one in Cherry Hill,” he replies.

“You might as well come by and get me,” she answers.

Moore's father says she left the center, telling her cousin she was going outside to try to buy a couple of cigarettes.

“So she went out there to get two loose ones. ”So she asked the guy if he had two loose ones, and the guy said, 'Ugh, no, no... whatever he said,' right?” recounted Terry Moore, “And then the next think I know the guy pulled a gun out and shot her... in the arm or whatever and then it hit her in the chest.“

Paramedics transported Moore to the Shock Trauma Center, but it would not come in time to save her life.

She leaves behind a six-year-old daughter and a five-year-old son.

“She's fine. They're going to be fine, but she's going to be growing up without a mom,” said Ciera High, Moore’s sister-in-law, “That's just hard. That's going to be hard.”

Especially hard considering the senseless manner in which she was shot, and the fact she realized in her final moments that it would cost her her life.

“And then she said on her phone, 'I don't know what happened,” her father told us, “but she said, 'I'm getting ready to die. I'm getting ready to die.'“