News

Actions

19-year-old arrested for JHU bomb threat

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 12:26 PM, May 12, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-12 12:46:28-04

Baltimore City Police confirm a 19-year-old suspect has been arrested in relation to the bomb threat called into Johns Hopkins University’s campus yesterday.

Police say officers were called to the campus in the 3400 block of N Charles St just after 7 a.m. Thursday for an anonymous call from a man threatening that there were several bombs placed in lecture halls and hallways on campus. Officials, including Baltimore City Arson detectives and Bomb Squad detectives, searched the threatened areas on campus but no explosives or suspicious devices were found.

RELATED: Morning exams postponed after bomb threat at Johns Hopkins University

Investigators found that the cell phone use to phone in the threat was reported stolen by another student earlier. The female student told police that she had been in the library when she left her phone on a desk to use the restroom and found it gone when she returned.

Police worked with campus security to view CCTV cameras to observe the suspect steal the student’s phone from the library before leaving. The phone was found in bushes outside of the Baltimore Museum of Art using an app.

Additional evidence led police to 19-year-old Advaith Baimeedi of the 3300 block of St. Paul St.

The suspect told police he was dared to make the threat; there were never any bombs, bomb making devices, or anything that could have been used to pose a physical threat.

Police arrested Baimeedi and charged him with making a bomb threat, theft, false statement, threat of mass violence, arson and phone misuse.

All university operations remained on a normal schedule Thursday except 9 a.m. exams had been postponed until 10 a.m. as a result