Former Key School students allege sex abuse, school launching investigation
8:53 AM, Aug 20, 2018
11:22 AM, Aug 23, 2018
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - A private school in Annapolis is looking into allegations that former students were sexually abused.
Several victims spoke to the Washington Post about their experiences while attending the Key School in the 1970's. The head of the school told the Washington Post they decided to move forward with an investigation after reviewing the allegations made by the several former students earlier this year.
In his statement to the Post, Matthew Nespole said the review showed that some former Key faculty members didn't respond appropriately when students reported the sexual abuse. The president of the school's Board of Trustees also called the allegations "credible and extremely upsetting."
A woman who attended the Key School in the 70's started bringing attention to this matter right around the beginning of the 'me-too' movement, using the hashtag #KeyToo. She told the post she was sexually abused by two teachers at the age of 13.
Several other victims came forward after she spoke up, saying they too were sexually abused by teachers at the school in the 70's. The Post reports some of the teachers were fired when parents and students complained, but many others stayed and continued working at the school.
Attorneys Andrew Jay Graham and Jean Lewis of the law firm Kramon and Graham in Baltimore will be handling the investigation.
There's no exact timeline on when it will be completed.