COLLEGE PARK, Md. — University of Maryland athletics have announced safety measures for home events in response to the coronavirus.
Maryland Athletics will be canceling all international recruiting activities, out-of-season competitions and travel and all out-of-season practices during the week of March 23.
They also announced the following safety measures.
- Prohibiting university-sponsored international travel and non-essential domestic travel
- Postponing or canceling large events where social distancing or other measures cannot be implemented
- Canceling classes for the week of March 23-27
- Offering telework options to staff when possible from March 23-April 10
- Transitioning students and faculty to online-based education from March 30-April 10.
In-season practices and home and away games will continue to be held, with the following significant restrictions:
- Effective immediately, only student-athletes, coaches, essential personnel, officials, credentialed media and a limited number of family members of the competing teams will be permitted to attend games, until at least April 10
- Increasing the frequency of cleaning commonly touched surfaces and on-site janitorial service during competitions
- Increasing sanitization of locker rooms, equipment and installing additional hand sanitizers at athletic venues
- Advising that any student-athlete who does not feel comfortable participating in team activities will be excused from doing so.