ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Maryland's Department of Education Superintendent is pushing back on claims that the state's Comptroller was holding up payments to childcare providers of first responders and healthcare workers.
On March 30, Governor Larry Hogan signed an executive order to allows state funded childcare for essential workers on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Superintendent Karen Salmon says the department is working to promptly pay the providers, and will also be issuing them an immediate $2000 grant payment by the end of next week.
The department reportedly contacted the Comptroller's office on April 21 to coordinate the payments.
"In response to regrettable misinformation that has made its way to social media, accusing the Maryland Comptroller's Office of delaying the issuance of provider payments, I wish to reiterate that this is simply, positively untrue," said Salmon. "It is my understanding that they stand ready and willing to process and disburse payments on the same day they receive our vendor files. We will ensure that the Comptroller's Office receives this information today."
Last week, Salmon said over 25,000 children were currently enrolled for free child care, and that the State has the capacity to serve an additional 20,000 kids.
Schools are currently closed through at least May 15.