A number of people incarcerated at North Branch Correctional Facility in Cumberland have contacted activists with the People's Power Assembly in regards to prison conditions during COVID-19.
According to those individuals, "the conditions they are currently experiencing at NBI are no less than horrific."
Their demands include but are not limited to:
- Unlimited testing for all individuals incarcerated in prisons managed by the Maryland Department of Corrections;
- Immediate transfer of all prisoners experiencing symptoms to an infirmary or a local hospital;
- Unlimited and immediate access for all prisoners in DOC facilities to showers, soap, and hand sanitizer;
- The immediate installation of hand-washing stations on every cell block in every prison in the state of Maryland, and access to those stations for all prisoners.
- The public release of a COVID-19 safety plan by the Maryland DOC.