MARYLAND — Govenor Hogan confirmed on Wednesday three additional cases of COVID-19 in Maryland, and the Maryland Department of Health has begun thorough investigations.
The State of Maryland now has 12 confirmed cases of the coronavirus.
Hogan announced the first case of community transmission of COVID-19 in Maryland. The patient, whose case was first announced Wednesday night, is a Prince George’s County resident who had no known exposure to coronavirus through travel or an infected individual.
“The first case of COV-19 community transmission in Maryland means we are entering a new phase of working to mitigate and limit the spread of this pandemic,” said Governor Hogan. “What we are seeing now is what we have been anticipating and preparing for over the last several weeks. Later today, I will be announcing to Marylanders major actions we are taking to protect public health and safety.”
He will be holding a press conference at 4:00 p.m. Thursday to announce major actions that the state is taking to protect public health.
Gov. Larry Hogan said officials also confirmed a Montana resident visiting Anne Arundel County has tested positive for the coronavirus.
Hogan said while this will be classified as a Montana case, the Maryland Department of Health (MDH) and Anne Arundel Health will take the lead on the investigation.
The individual is a woman in her 70s who was alerted she had been in close contact with a confirmed case. The patient presented for testing at an Anne Arundel County hospital, which took all necessary precautions to protect staff and patients.
Hogan stated they became aware of this case, and acted swiftly to coordinate with officials both in Anne Arundel County and in Montana.
MDH officials notified Montana health officials, and Governor Hogan contacted Montana Governor Steve Bullock.
“Once we became aware of this case, we acted swiftly to coordinate with officials both here in Anne Arundel County and in Montana,” said Governor Hogan. “I continue to urge Marylanders to stay informed, and follow the guidance we have issued. We want to emphasize that if you are concerned about symptoms, please call your healthcare provider. We will continue to share information as it becomes available.”
Hogan says they continue to urge Marylanders to stay informed, and follow the guidance they have issued.
In a press conference on Wednesday, Hogan said Maryland residents should be prepared for disruptions to their daily lives due to the coronavirus and provided an update on the state's previously announced cases.
The Governor said announced new precautions to stop the virus from spreading.
- The MVA will move to appointment only basis
- Long-term care facilities have restricted access to essential visits only
There will also be a special COVID-19 enrollment period through Maryland Health Connection to make sure all Marylanders are prepared and protected.
He also wants everyone to be careful, practicing good hygiene, social distancing and just being prepared.
"Local schools and day cares should be prepared with contingency plans for potential long term closures," Governor Hogan said. "Local communities and cities should actively consider modifying postponing or canceling mass gatherings. Local businesses should prepare plans for office closures and require employees to work from home for extended periods of time."
You can watch Wednesday's full news conference below.