A school resource officer at a high school in Colorado Springs was caught on camera punching a student while trying to break up a fight between two students.
The fracas occurred at 12:06 p.m. Thursday at Coronado High School, according to Colorado Springs Police.
Police said when the officer attempted to separate the teen girls they continued to strike each other and the officer as he tried to stop the fight.
At that point, the officer struck one of the girls in the lower face area, stopping the altercation, police said.
Officers said both students were arrested on charges of city fighting. The two girls were also suspended from Coronado High School.
There were no injuries.
Police said the officer's supervisor responded to the scene and oversaw the investigation. The officer had to fill out a response to aggression form, which his supervisor will review.
However, he is scheduled to return to work on Friday.
Officials at Colorado Springs School District 11 said Colorado Springs Police reviewed the video and determined that the officer's actions were justified, KRDO-TV reported.
More Local News:
- Are generic drugs really 'the same'?
- Police: Man forces woman into car in west Denver
- 1 person wounded in Stapleton shooting
- Source of nitrate in city's water still unknown
- Body of missing hiker found in RMNP
- Reward offered in case of 79 vandalisms
- PD: Wanted man killed cat after domestic dispute
- Parts for new bridges flown into Apex Park
- Did you lose an envelope full of cash?
- Pothole leads to I-70 emergency bridge repairs