A historic ship from World War II that's docked in Baltimore will be renamed.
The Roger B. Taney Coast Guard cutter is the last ship floating that was used in the attack on Pearl Harbor.
It is named after the chief justice who ruled before the Civil War that black people were not U.S. citizens. Taney delivered the majority opinion in 1857's Dred Scott v. Sandford Supreme Court case that asserted black people had no pathway to citizenship and no rights.
That name has been removed from the ship. It will be referred to by its hull identifcation "WHEC-37", which stands for "High Endurance Cutter", until another name is chosen.
Baltimore's Living Classrooms Foundation oversees the ship and made the decision.