HomepageHomepage Showcase


First cold-related death confirmed in Maryland

Posted at 2:40 PM, Nov 21, 2018

A man in Garrett County died of hypothermia making his death the first cold-related death of the season in Maryland. The Maryland Health Department says he was 65 or older.

“Temperatures are expected to plummet across Maryland this Thanksgiving weekend,” said Maryland Department of Health Deputy Secretary for Public Health Fran Phillips in a statement.

“If you must go outside, prevent cold-related illness, like hypothermia, by wearing layers and protecting your nose, ears, toes, and fingers. If you’re leaving town for the holiday weekend, pack a cold weather emergency car kit with blankets, warm clothes, an ice scraper, and food and water.”

From November through March, the Department of Health monitors temperature conditions and incidences of cold-related illnesses and deaths.

There were 61 cold-related deaths in Maryland during the 2017-2018 season.

Some of the dangers associated with winter weather include hypothermia, frostbite, carbon monoxide poisoning, and injuries from heat sources.

The health department strongly encourages carbon monoxide detectors be installed in homes. Heating sources can also cause fires, electrical injuries, and burns if not properly installed, operated, and maintained. Never use your oven to heat your home.