Giant Food, LLC has announced Sunday it is removing certain Hostess Snack Cake and Donut items off its shelves after Hostess issued a recall as some of the items may contain peanut residue not included in the ingredient list. According to the FDA release , Hostess Brands, LLC voluntarily recalled 710,000 cases of certain snacks.
Giant says these items are safe to eat for individuals who do not have a peanut allergy.
According to a release, the following items are included in the recall:
- Hostess donettes - Frosted Mini Donuts, 11.25 oz, UPC 88810915002 with best by dates of 6/1/16 & 6/22/16
- Hostess donettes - Powdered Mini Donuts, 10.5 oz., UPC 88810915004 with a best by date of 6/6/16
- Hostess donettes - 6 Mini Donuts - Powdered, 3 oz., UPC 88810905004 with best by dates of 6/6/16 & 6/12/16
- Hostess donettes - 6 Mini Donuts - Crunch, 3 oz., UPC 88810905005 with best by dates of 6/6/16
- Hostess Chocodile Twinkies Fun Size, 13.02 oz., UPC 88810911049 with best by dates of 6/4/16 & 6/10/16
- Hostess Ding Dongs - 10 ct., 12.7 oz., UPC 88810911061 with best by dates of 6/2/16, 6/3/16, 6/9/16, 6/16/16, 7/6/16
Giant notes that people who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they eat these products.
”Symptoms of food allergies typically appear from within a few minutes to two hours after a person has eaten the food to which he or she is allergic. Allergic reactions can include: hives; flushed skin or rash; tingling or itchy sensation in the mouth; face, tongue, or lip swelling; vomiting and/or diarrhea; abdominal cramps; coughing or wheezing; dizziness and/or lightheadedness; swelling of the throat and vocal cords; difficulty breathing; loss of consciousness.”
Giant customers who have purchased any of these products should discard anything uneaten and can bring their receipt back to the store for a full refund.
According to a release, customers with questions can call Hostess at 800-686-2813
“Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call Hostess at 800-686-2813.
In addition, customers may call Giant Food Customer Service at 888-469-4426 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for more information. Customers can also visit the Giant Food website at www.giantfood.com http://www.giantfood.com ”