Giant Food, LLC has announced Sunday it is removing certain Hostess Snack Cake and Donut items off its shelves after Hostess issued a recall as some of the items may contain peanut residue not included in the ingredient list. According to the FDA release, Hostess Brands, LLC voluntarily recalled 710,000 cases of certain snacks.
Giant says these items are safe to eat for individuals who do not have a peanut allergy.
According to a release, the following items are included in the recall:
- Hostess donettes - Frosted Mini Donuts, 11.25 oz, UPC 88810915002 with best by dates of 6/1/16 & 6/22/16
- Hostess donettes - Powdered Mini Donuts, 10.5 oz., UPC 88810915004 with a best by date of 6/6/16
- Hostess donettes - 6 Mini Donuts - Powdered, 3 oz., UPC 88810905004 with best by dates of 6/6/16 & 6/12/16
- Hostess donettes - 6 Mini Donuts - Crunch, 3 oz., UPC 88810905005 with best by dates of 6/6/16
- Hostess Chocodile Twinkies Fun Size, 13.02 oz., UPC 88810911049 with best by dates of 6/4/16 & 6/10/16
- Hostess Ding Dongs - 10 ct., 12.7 oz., UPC 88810911061 with best by dates of 6/2/16, 6/3/16, 6/9/16, 6/16/16, 7/6/16
Giant notes that people who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they eat these products.
”Symptoms of food allergies typically appear from within a few minutes to two hours after a person has eaten the food to which he or she is allergic. Allergic reactions can include: hives; flushed skin or rash; tingling or itchy sensation in the mouth; face, tongue, or lip swelling; vomiting and/or diarrhea; abdominal cramps; coughing or wheezing; dizziness and/or lightheadedness; swelling of the throat and vocal cords; difficulty breathing; loss of consciousness.”
Giant customers who have purchased any of these products should discard anything uneaten and can bring their receipt back to the store for a full refund.
According to a release, customers with questions can call Hostess at 800-686-2813
“Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call Hostess at 800-686-2813.
In addition, customers may call Giant Food Customer Service at 888-469-4426 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for more information. Customers can also visit the Giant Food website at www.giantfood.com http://www.giantfood.com”