NewsState

Actions

Vacuum robot and candle to blame after house catches fire

Posted: 1:45 PM, Jul 30, 2018
Updated: 2018-07-30 17:47:18Z

A man has his robosweeper and a candle to blame after his house caught fire on Saturday. 

According to fire officials, a neighbor in the area of the 19000 block of Thomas Hill Road heard a smoke alarm going off and called the fire department. 

After an investigation, crews discovered the person who lived in the home had lit a candle in the bedroom and forgotten to blow it out. He then undocked his robosweeper to clean while he was away. Officials say the robosweeper hit the stand the candle was on, causing it to fall onto the bed and catch fire. 

The fire was contained to the bedroom, but the rest of the house suffered heat and smoke damage. 

Around $25,000 of damage was done to the house and the Red Cross is helping the person that lives there.